May 2020 – Sandstone Macewan Community Hockey Rink Update
While development of Sandstone and Macewan communities began in 1982, the hockey rink was built in 1991, the same year as Simons Valley School was built. The rink has been a part of the community ever since, used all seasons for hockey and skating in the winter, basketball and skateboarding in the summer.
In 2018, the Board Members began examining the need to replace parts of the rink as the lifecycle of the various components was coming to an end. This need was further emphasized prior to the 2019/2020 winter season when it became apparent that the rink was in urgent need of repair to get it through the winter.
SMCA Board members have been working with the City of Calgary Neighbourhood Partnership Coordinator and other city staff to understand the City and Provincial Grant options and the proper processes for rink replacement.
Part of the process is to understand the wants and needs of the community in regards to the facility. To that end, SMCA initiated a survey process over the winter of 2019, ending in February 2020. The survey was communicated through monthly news letters, on social media like Facebook and on our website.
In total, 81 people filled out the survey. Of those:
- 72 had used the rink surface (or a family member had) for ice hockey, skating, skateboarding, basketball, and other sports
- Some respondents had stopped using the rink for a variety of reasons, including the condition of the facility
- Of the 80 who answered the question, 100% supported SMCA pursuing funding to replace the facility
- When asked about other suggestions, 34 respondents provided feedback, including new boards, new facilities (pickle ball, permanent skateboard park, community hall, skate shack) and events such as skating parties. The overwhelming comment was to please keep the rink and add to the facilities, as it is an important feature in our community.
- We also had 35 people answer the question about becoming involved, with some offering to participate and others indicating interest but no time. We welcome any and all community members to come to our meetings or connect with us in other ways.
Stay tuned here for progress updates on the facility rebuild!
January 2020 – Community Input Requested
The Sandstone Macewan Community Association is seeking community input. Our hockey rink/outdoor sports surface (355 Sandarac Drive NW) is in need of replacement.
Currently, it is used by community members of all ages, local sports teams, local schools, and members of neighbouring commmunities. We have a dedicated crew of rink volunteers in the winter months. We host various winter and summer events and have the potential to host more throughout the year.
We have been working with the City of Calgary to determine next steps but would like to know your thoughts? Do you use the rink/surface? Do you have any thoughts on the replacement?
Please see the online questionnaire at www.sandstonemacewan.com/rink-survey and add your comments. ONLINE SURVEY OS NOW CLOSED
If you want to know more about the proposed Facility Upgrade, the results of the survey, or anything else related to our Community Association, please consider attending our Monthly meetings held the 2nd Thursday of the month or contact SMCA at firstname.lastname@example.org